Arkansas City public school students who are interested in participating in fall sports must have an up-to-date sports physical on file with the school district.
The Ark City Clinic offers discounted physicals to students for this purpose, according to Unified School District 470 employee Peggy Soule.
At one point, the physicals were free, but they have not been free for several years, she said.
Any local chiropractor also can sign off on the district’s paperwork.
The physical is required annually and cannot be taken earlier than May 1 preceding the school year for which it is applicable.
The 17-page packet can be found at www.usd470.com/91609_2.
The Ark City Clinic, which now offers acute illness care, also is available to handle sports physicals.
The clinic’s hours are from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
It is run on a first-come, first-served basis, and no appointment is necessary. Non-Ark City Clinic patients are accepted.
The clinic is located at 510 W. Radio Lane in Arkansas City and can be contacted at (620) 442-2100.
USD 470 policies state that the following items must be completed before a student can participate. The student:
- be enrolled in and attending as a full-time student at Arkansas City Middle School or Arkansas City High School.
- must be currently enrolled in five new subjects and have passed six of eight classes during the previous semester.
- must have the 2016-17 physical form filled out and signed by a doctor, the student and a parent or guardian.
- read, fill out and sign the Kansas State High School Activities Association eligibility checklist.
- must read the school activities and regulations, and supplemental insurance information.
- must read and sign the USD 470 Board of Education policy on tobacco, drugs and alcohol, criminal activity, and anti-hazing/anti-bullying.
- must complete the consent form for emergency medical treatment.
- must complete the risk acknowledgement and consent to participation form.
- must read and sign the athletic training consent for treatment form.