Letter from Mayor Oestmann

To the Citizens of Arkansas City: On behalf of the City Commission and City Manager Nick Hernandez, I would like to thank each and every one of you who voted this month to approve the SCKMC Sales Tax. The tax was approved by a vote margin of 1,885 to 467. […]

Giles resigns from City Commission

Commissioner Chad Giles has tendered his resignation from the City Commission of Arkansas City as of May 25. “I do not take this decision lightly as I truly love this town and am honored to have served on the Commission,” Giles said in an e-mail to City Manager Nick Hernandez. […]

Voegele to run against Wilson for County Commission

An Arkansas City man has filed to run against Cowley County Commissioner Gary Wilson. Bob Voegele, 59, has filed as a Republican through the Cowley County Courthouse. He ran against Wilson eight years ago. “(Gary) has been in 12 years. It’s time to get other people in,” Voegele said. Voegele […]

SCKMC sales tax passes with huge margin

The South Central Kansas Medical Center sales tax initiative appears to have passed May 24 with an 80-percent approval rating. However, official results for the 1-percent sales tax will not be available until June 2. The tax increase, which has preliminary votes of 1,885 for and 467 against, has been […]

SCKMC sales tax approved in 4-to-1 vote

A one-percent sales tax for South Central Kansas Medical Center’s (SCKMC) bond debt was approved by Arkansas City voters on May 24. An unofficial tally showed 80 percent of voters were in favor of the tax, with the remaining 20 percent opposed. “Yes” votes were cast by 1,885 citizens, with […]

ACPD Sgt. Mata recounts experience that led him to police work

Arkansas City Police Department Sgt. Eric Mata recently was given an award from the Optimists of Arkansas City as their Law Enforcement Officer of the Year. One of the aspects of the job he was applauded for was his work with children and on crimes against children. “It only takes […]

Commission awards bid to local contractor

City commissioners voted 4-1 to award a local contractor with a job worth about $44,000 during a City Commission of Arkansas City meeting May 17. Kuhn Mechanical won the bid, despite being more expensive than the lowest bidder by more than $2,000. Commissioner Chad Giles led the charge to keep […]

Annual hydrant flushing program begins May 23

The City of Arkansas City is continuing its annual fire hydrant flushing program, with work proceeding in southwest Arkansas City starting next week. The Environmental Services Division will begin flushing Section 1 — which includes all fire hydrants in the area of First Street and Washington Avenue, south to Lincoln […]

City Commission discusses advisory boards

City commissioners discussed concerns regarding filling spots on city advisory boards during a work session Friday afternoon at City Hall. Arkansas City is facing “a crisis of volunteerism,” said Public Information Officer Andrew Lawson. “My generation does not get involved.” The problem facing the City is how best to fill […]

CVB mulls separation from Chamber of Commerce

The Arkansas City Area Chamber of Commerce and the Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) have long co-existed, sharing administrative costs. However, due to “gray areas” in the policies that govern the two entities, the CVB board recently voted to restructure the CVB so it would be solely responsible for the […]