Cowley College’s Earle N. Wright Community Room played host Oct. 3 to a record turnout of individuals attending the Cowley College Foundation’s annual scholarship reception.
The event, now in its seventh year, brings together scholarship recipients with the community members, donors and alumni who donated money to the foundation in support of scholarships.
The reception has continued to be a success and is held each year thanks to a generous contribution from the Trust Company of Kansas, which has been the event sponsor since the first year.
During the event, the foundation awarded 145 scholarships with a total value of $153,470 for the 2017-18 academic year.
Attendees were welcomed by Cowley College Vice President of Institutional Advancement Kori Gregg and Foundation Board President Mike Munson.
Lena Spencer, Cowley College Foundation coordinator, and Lisa Grose, scholarship coordinator, also were on hand to ensure the event was a success.
Gregg thanked donors in attendance for their support of student scholarships.
“You are changing lives and making a difference. Your scholarship matters,” she said. “Your scholarships open countless doors to students. Without you, so many dreams would go unfulfilled.”
During the scholarship presentation, Gregg had the audience answer trivia questions about Cowley College for a chance to win prizes.
Sophomore Julian Cornejo, the recipient of the Scott MacLaughlin Memorial Scholarship, also spoke.
“Thanks for giving students a chance to continue their education through these generous scholarships,” Cornejo said. “Without this scholarship, I would not be able to pay for my schooling.”
2017-18 scholarship recipients:
- American Legion Scholarship — Jackson Rohr;
- Ark City Clinic Scholarship — Madison Oak;
- Barkley Scholarship — Kellie Hampton;
- Bea Wright Scholarship — Paige Jordan;
- Boyer Education Trust Scholarships — Jennifer Grado-Leon, Amanda Hamersky, Sheilah Lange, Hannah Lyles, Kellcie Norris, Jaeden Rotz, Stephanie Salazar and Ashley Soles;
- Chihyun Park Scholarship — Andrew Saysourivong;
- Claude and Helen Morrow Scholarship — Logan Bergosh;
- Clay and Betty Lemert Scholarship — Fanny Cristobal;
- CornerBank Scholarship — Kaitlin Hicks;
- David and Peggy Soule Scholarship — Abel Conde-Vital;
- Derek Burroughs Memorial Scholarship — Brianne Morris;
- Duck Dash Scholarships — Marshall Aurell, Logan Bergosh, Margarita Burunda, Madison Jordan, Melissa Murphy and MicKayla Murphy;
- E.A. Funk Scholarship — Abigail Horsley;
- Eli Hilderbrand Memorial Scholarships — Kelly Armstrong, Shayna Nicely, Amy Tracy and Alyssa Valdez;
- Elizabeth Northcutt Scholarships — Shalee Asche and Tara Lukert;
- Gene and Donella Cole Scholarship — Heather Strickler;
- George and Betty Sybrant Scholarship — Kyle Blubaugh;
- Gordon-Piatt William Krusor Memorial Scholarship — Tyler Kurtz;
- Hall of Scholars Scholarships — Coby Johnson, Jake Shaw, Victoria Tjaden and Taylor Woodward;
- Herrin Family Scholarship — Alisha Farley;
- Hubert and Mildred Johnston Scholarship — Destiny Lever;
- Jean C. Lough Memorial Scholarship — Anthony Moran;
- Jim Kelly Scholarship — Lindsay Hull;
- John and Olive Kappler Scholarship — Skylar Kelly;
- Kirke Dale Memorial Trust Scholarship — Benjamin Chinn;
- L.G. Pike Construction Scholarship — Raven Hurst;
- Larry and Carlla Pike Scholarships — Nikole Davis and Destiny Schulte;
- Linda Barnes Memorial Scholarships — Hayleigh Bird and Kaitlyn Taylor;
- Luther Parman Memorial Scholarship — Jacob Edelman;
- Lyle and Terry Eaton Scholarship — Juan Urdaneta;
- Martha Brandenburg Music Scholarship — Abbey Ferris;
- Mildred F. Carpenter and Marie Vickers Scholarships — Jewell Ceballos, Courtney Hardister, Emily Harris and Summer Long;
- Newt and Mary Ellen Smith Scholarship — Julianne Moore;
- Palmer-Williams Scholarship — Breana LaFever;
- Pat Lawson Tyler Scholarship — Makenna Zoglmann;
- Paton Wholesale Scholarships — Vanessa Edris, Matthew Falletti and Alisha Farley;
- Paul and Dorothy Johnson Scholarships — Bethany Lawless and Alexandra Randall;
- Rittle and Zang Scholarship — Amanda Hamersky;
- Robert Brown Memorial Scholarships — Katherine Adams, Dustin Bolster, Austin Churchill, Dylan Currier, Breanna Freeman, Cody Hutchison, Anna Jordan, Alexis Luce, Kylie Randall and Joe Wangombe;
- Robert Lawson Scholarship — Symantha Shelton;
- Scott MacLaughlin Memorial Scholarship — Julian Cornejo;
- Shanks Family/Jodi Sanderholm Memorial Scholarship — Lauren Jameson;
- Thomas Vincent Simpson Memorial Scholarship — Tyler Kurtz;
- TNT Scholarship — Katherine Adams;
- Union State Bank Scholarship — Brendan Kohler and Jackson Rohr;
- V.J. Wilkins Foundation Scholarship — Jordan Vande Giessen;
- Warren R. Kelley Trust Scholarships — Ashley Bailey, Connor Baxter and Megan Roth;
- Zeller Motor Company Scholarship — Dustin Nance and Geoffrey Waggoner.
This information was provided by Cowley College Director of Institutional Communications and Public Relations Rama Peroo.