The Cowley College theater and music departments performed “Once Upon a Mattress” on Nov. 3-5 in the Robert Brown Theatre, marking the directorial debut of interim theater director Cara Kem.
This spin on the familiar classic included side-splitting humor as the audience shared in the tale of being true to oneself while overcoming obstacles and finding love.
Kem said she was proud of the students’ work.
“They have worked so hard and their dedication to excellence paid off,” Kem said.
“I brought them many challenges and they never backed down. These students and fellow faculty make my job so much fun.”
Assisting Kem were vocal music director David Smith and technical director of theater John Rohr.
“This production was a labor of love for us all,” Kem said. “The three of us took the material and created our own world, mixed with both medieval and Las Vegas tones.”
Others assisting with the performance were scenic interns Kristin James and William Blackburn, student director Kim Wong, assistant student director Kyle Smith, and lighting designers Chris Williams and Brianna Bixley.
The student cast comprised:
- Winnifred — Jessica Burk;
- Lady Larkin — Jazmynn Burris;
- Queen Aggravain — Kayla Hawkins;
- King Sextimus — Cory Blevins;
- Nightingale — Allison Gladfelter;
- Princess No. 12 — Hannah Coryea;
- First Lady (Rowena) — Jenny Thivongsa;
- Second Lady (Merrill)/Kitchen Wench — Miyah Latney;
- Third Lady (Lucille) — Taryn Stone;
- Emily — Angel Morris;
- Pantomime Princess/Dance Captain — Courtney Wallace;
- Dauntless — Avery Hogan;
- Sir Harry — Zane Blackburn;
- Wizard — Julian Cornejo;
- Jester — Michael Rodriguez;
- Minstrel — Josh Amos;
- Sir Luce — Tim Hardman;
- Sir Studley — Austin Crowe;
- First Knight — Payton Latney;
- Second Knight — Gunner Johnson;
- Third Knight — Stephen Harris;
- Lady Mabelle — Tori Vansteinberg;
- Pantomime Prince — Ross Ferris.
Orchestra members were Lindsay Allen, Matt Allen, Kate Austin, Todd Clubine, Sherryl Determann, Brianna Herndon, Alyssa Looney, Rylie McConnell, Kaya Miers, Shae Nichols, Evan Ricker, Aimee Schwintz, Jacob Shepherd, Megan Talbert, Shayna Templeton and Meagan Yakelis.
This information was provided by Cowley College Director of Institutional Communications Rama Peroo.