English muffins are a breakfast staple in some households.
Before she passed away, my grandmother’s kitchen always had these muffins hidden away in it.
It was not uncommon to find her in the morning, eating peanut butter on her muffin.
It is a versatile breakfast baked good that can be paired with any number of sweet to savory toppings.
One of the recipes in my grandmother’s recipe book is a cream cheese-based spread that she also enjoyed on English muffins.
English muffin spread ingredients
- 1 egg
- 1 8-ounce container softened cream cheese
- 1 small can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Mix the egg and cream cheese with a fork. Do not use a blender — it will break down the egg.
Add the pineapple and vanilla, and fold them into the mix.
Cover English muffin halves and bake at 375 degrees for seven (7) to 10 minutes or until the mixture is set.
Serve immediately while the muffins are still warm.
Some other recipes that are great on English muffins include:
- Sweet red pepper jelly muffins — Simply toast the muffin and spread on cream cheese, followed by sweet-and-spicy red pepper jelly.
- Pizza muffins — Add bacon crumbles, fresh basil, a slice of tomato and mozzarella cheese.
- Fish and egg muffins — Top toasted muffins with mashed avocado, smoked salmon and a poached egg.