Incumbents carried the day in the Nov. 7 elections, earning re-election to all three local boards — City Commission, Cowley College Board of Trustees and USD 470 Board of Education.
Among those re-elected were city commissioners Jay Warren (29 percent) and Karen Welch (23.9 percent); trustees Ned Graham (16.6 percent), Bob Juden (18.2 percent) and Brian Sanderholm (21.5 percent); and recently appointed school board member Lance Niles (20.2 percent).
Joining Warren and Welch on the City Commission with a two-year term will be Kanyon Gingher, who collected 18.3 percent.
Despite not being eligible to serve due to an impending move out of state, commission candidate Richard Humphrey received 7.95 percent of votes.
The fourth college trustee representing Cowley County will be former county commissioner Gary Wilson, who had 13.9 percent of the total votes cast. Joining him as a newcomer will be Sumner County’s first-ever trustee, Glennis Zimmerman, who won with 1,556 votes over Kay Ryan, who had 796.
The current trustees still will need to fill by appointment the seat Sid Regnier vacated in March, which has two years left in its term.
The two new school board members will be Rhoda MacLaughlin-Ramirez, who led all candidates with 26.1 percent, and Lori Barnes, who came in third with 17.9 percent, replacing Daren Reese and Joe Woodard.
The unofficial final vote totals for each race are listed below. About 100 voters had to cast provisional paper ballots due to a voting machine tablet malfunction, according to County Clerk Karen Madison.
She did not know the exact cause of the problem, which essentially signaled that the voters had already voted electronically when they signed in, but promised the provisional votes still will count.
Voter turnout was 15.9 percent. Canvassing is set for 9 a.m. Nov. 13 at the Cowley County Courthouse in Winfield. The vote totals will be finalized and certified at that time.
City Commission of Arkansas City
- Jay Warren — 687 (29.04 percent)
- Karen Welch — 566 (23.92 percent)
- Kanyon Gingher — 432 (18.26 percent)
- Milissa Robb — 273 (11.44 percent)
- Richard Humphrey — 188 (7.95 percent)
- Timothy Perry — 182 (7.69 percent)
- Ballots with less than three candidates selected — 568
Cowley College Board of Trustees*
- Brian Sanderholm — 1,957 (21.47 percent)
- Bob Juden — 1,659 (18.22 percent)
- Ned Graham — 1,511 (16.59 percent)
- Gary Wilson — 1,262 (13.85 percent)
- Michael Bergagnini — 1,075 (11.8 percent)
- Darrin Green — 851 (9.34 percent)
- Jonathan Hansen — 770 (8.44 percent)
- Ballots with less than four candidates selected — 3,108
USD 470 Board of Education
- Rhoda MacLaughlin-Ramirez — 926 (26.14 percent)
- Lance Niles — 717 (20.24 percent)
- Lori Barnes — 634 (17.89 percent)
- Damon Mendoza — 556 (15.69 percent)
- Tyler Yung — 487 (13.75 percent)
- Kate Reilly — 210 (5.93 percent)
- Ballots with less than three candidates selected — 567
*Cowley College totals include eight votes cast in Sumner County