The Last Run Car Show has roots reaching back to 1976, when the brand-new Ark City Tumbleweeds car club started the annual event.
Ever since, Arkansas City has marked the last full weekend in September with one of the largest car shows in Kansas.
In 1976, there were 75 entries, a number that has continued to grow through the years.
The largest number of participants was a record 1,365 cars in 2001.
This year, the event will kick off Sept. 23 and run through Sept. 25.
The entry fee for a vehicle is $25, which is non-refundable after Sept. 15.
Some of the highlights of Last Run this year will include:
- 6 p.m. Sept. 23 — kickoff party;
- 7 a.m. Sept. 24 — vendor booths open;
- 9 a.m. Sept. 24 — craft show doors open;
- 10 a.m. Sept. 24 — model car show;
- 12 a.m. Sept. 24 — car judging begins;
- 5 p.m. Sept. 24 — downtown cruise;
- 8 p.m. Sept. 24 — Tumbleweeds dance at Wilson Park rotunda;
- 12 p.m. Sept. 25 — awards and trophies announced.
More information can be found at www.actumbleweeds.com or by calling Tumbleweeds president Shane Fredrick at (620) 660-2509.
“Ark City Tumbleweeds membership is made up of individuals from many different walks of life with a common interest in cars and the enjoyment of related activities,” according to the club website.