The USD 470 Board of Education took time during its meeting Monday night to publicly congratulate the Arkansas City High School wrestling team on winning another state championship.
The wrestling team has had a longstanding pattern of excellence, which added another chapter when the team took the Class 4A wrestling championship late last month.
“We had a police escort when we came into town,” said ACHS wrestling coach Greg Buckbee. “It was awesome to see all those people there.”
Many of the wrestlers ranked highly, including four state champions. Three of them were repeat winners and one, Marcus Robinson, became just the fourth ACHS wrestler ever to win four state titles in his high school career.
As a result, Arkansas City High School brought home its 21st overall state championship in wrestling.
“Congratulations, coach,” said USD 470 Superintendent Ron Ballard.
In other business, the school board:
- approved the agenda.
- approved the resignations of Sarah Fischer as a teacher at C-4 Elementary School and Joseph Thornburg as ACHS assistant principal.
- approved the hiring of Julie Gonzalez as ESOL Support at ACHS, Sairis Helson as ESOL Support at Frances Willard Elementary School, Josie Reilly as agriculture educator at ACHS, Lauren Rosales as assistant principal at ACHS and Braden Smith as principal at Jefferson Elementary School.
- accepted a gift of $250 in personal hygiene products for ACHS from Soroptimist International.
- voted to adjust textbook fees for the 2018-19 school year.
- approved the third year (2018-19) continuation application of the approved five-year funding cycle for submittal to the Region VII Head Start office, for a total application amount of $1,313,176.
- authorized the district’s business office to use the Kansas Bus Purchasing Program to buy two regular route buses and issue a request for proposals and/or use the Kansas Bus Purchasing Program for two activity buses, after the district recently was awarded $40,000 from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to be used for the regular route buses.
- heard a report from Peg Dokken-Opat regarding the ACHS enrollment handbook.
- discussed the possibility of a daytime security position at the high school.
- heard a report from Ballard regarding the Engage AC professional development event and the formation of district KESA committees.
- held an executive session to discuss matters of non-elected personnel.