The annual SCKMC Auxiliary awards luncheon was held recently to recognize members who have shown an outstanding commitment to South Central Kansas Medical Center throughout the past year.
With more than three dozen active members, the organization provided a substantial impact to the hospital in 2017.
Carol Hearne, outgoing chair of the SCKMC Board of Trustees, began the event by addressing a room filled with the traditional pink smocks and red jackets.
“On behalf of the board for South Central Kansas Medical Center, I would like to say thank you for all that you do,” Hearne said.
“Walking into the lobby, there is always a smiling face. And when you are not feeling good, there is somebody there to cheer you up a little bit. It’s because of each and every one of you.”
SCKMC Auxiliary members are recognized with certificates or lapel pins, depending upon the number of hours volunteered throughout the year.
Members receiving certificates of appreciation were Marsha Hicks, Dorothy Owen and Barbara Walker. The following also were recognized:
- 100 hours of service to the hospital — Mary Akers, Sandy Day, Anita Green, Gary Humiston, Linda Humiston, Fern Knocke, Kathy McKimens, Myrna Merz, Dee Dee Moore, Dorothy Owen, Neal Paisley, Maxine Soule and Kathleen Walker;
- 200 hours of service — Alice Anzelmo, Jan Bartel, Bud Kendrick, Sue Killman and Judy Wampler;
- 300 hours of service — Helen Bossi, Judy Day-Trenary, Gloria Hull, Sue Kruger, Jackie Shaffer and Sharon Shelton;
- 400 hours of service — Rose Anstine and Myrtle Posey;
- 500 hours of service — JoAnn Baker, Elrea Mullen, Leslie Sherman, Sara Ward and Deloris Walker.
The top three volunteers for 2017 were Marilyn Tracy with 600 hours, Janet Emmerson with 700 hours and Marty Nuckels, who volunteered 1,000 hours.
Auxiliary President JoAnn Baker concluded the luncheon by presenting the hospital with a check for $3,500, to be used to purchase equipment and furnishings for the facility.
SCKMC Auxiliary members volunteer their time at the medical center’s gift shop, information desk and various other departments throughout the facility. They also volunteer their time to create items for craft bazaars, bake sales and other fundraisers.
Anyone interested in joining the SCKMC Auxiliary should call Dee Dee Moore, membership chair, at (620) 741-1954 for more information.
This information was provided by South Central Kansas Medical Center Marketing Director Clayton Pappan.