Photo by JENI McGEE
Photo by JENI McGEE

A one-percent sales tax for South Central Kansas Medical Center’s (SCKMC) bond debt was approved by Arkansas City voters on May 24.

An unofficial tally showed 80 percent of voters were in favor of the tax, with the remaining 20 percent opposed.

“Yes” votes were cast by 1,885 citizens, with 467 voting no.

Final canvassing is set for June 2.

The one-cent, 10-year sales tax is set to take effect Oct. 1, once it is approved by the City Commission of Arkansas City.

The funds raised by the tax can be used only to pay for the debt service previously incurred to construct and equip SCKMC.

The tax is predicted to generate $1.6 million annually.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *