This recipe always seems to appear on our table around Thanksgiving each year, but it can be enjoyed year-round.
It is a hit with some of our extended family members, though.
I believe you could argue that my mother likes this salad because it is comfort food for her, since it is something that my grandmother and great-grandmother made.
No lard this time, I promise!
Waldorf salad ingredients
- 2 large red apples, diced — red delicious apples might be best for a contrast of flavor, by my mother is partial to Granny Smith
- 1 cup celery, chopped or diced — be sure to strip the strands off the outside of the celery before it is chopped
- 1/2 cup broken nuts, any variety — this is optional
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small can crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits, drained
Combine ingredients and chill.
This salad is best served cold and must be kept refrigerated.
Note: Salad proportions can be varied.
Also, other fruits, such as bananas or maraschino cherries, can be added.